Thursday, February 09, 2006

Starting out.


For my first 33 1/2 years, I stumbled along, doing a little of this and a little of that. I had various part-time jobs, some more colorful than others . . . got married . . . had two kids . . . went to college and law school and eventually became a lawyer . . .

I never would have suspected that attending something like Star Wars Celebration III would cause my life to become so incredibly different, in so many ways, in such a short period of time.

I had some tangential knowledge of a group called The 501st Stormtrooper Legion, a charity costuming organization that specializes in incredibly accurate Star Wars costumes. My husband is a lifelong rabid Star Wars fan, and it was a foregone conclusion that we would attend Celebration III, the only Lucasfilm-associated convention for Star Wars fans.

My husband had requested that we costume for the convention, since it was supposed to be the last one (coinciding with the release of what is supposed to be the last Star Wars movie). His favorite character is Luke Skywalker, particularly in Return of the Jedi when he appears in full badass Jedi Master mode. He asked that I dress as Mara Jade, who appears in the books and comics after Jedi and is a redheaded force-sensitive assassin who works secretly for The Emperor for many years, but after his death, slowly makes her way over to become a Jedi and ultimately marry Luke.

The 501st was at the convention, acting as support staff and security as they had for Celebrations I and II. I couldn't decide which was more odd, the fact that I spent several days surrounded by absolutely realistic Stormtroopers, or that after a while I didn't even notice it any more. One of the Stormtroopers in front of the ballroom where scenes from Revenge of the Sith were screening called out to me as I walked by in my Mara Jade costume.

"Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?"

I was startled and wasn't sure he was talking to me. Was it someone I knew from Phoenix?

I looked around. "Me?"

He smiled. "Yeah, you. The Emperor's Hand?"

It took me a while to figure out that he was just being cute and referring to the Imperial connection between Mara Jade and Stormtroopers. I kidded around with him for a while, but the upshot was that he was surprised I wasn't already a member of the 501st, with the costume I had. I hadn't thought it was anything impressive, but evidently, it was.

I applied through the website to become a member, kind of as a lark more than anything . . . I mean, what were the odds that they'd seriously want me to join?

I started running with the local Dune Sea Garrison in May of 2005, and they've now become such a part of my life that I can't imagine it without them any more.

Costuming is becoming a hobby, in more than one arena. With the help of friends in the Garrison, particularly my Sewing Goddess friend Gabby, it looks like I'm going to expand into the realm of Renaissance costuming as well. For someone who would routinely sew her fingers together, given the chance, having friends who know what they're doing is a godsend. When she finishes the unbelievable Italian Renaissance dress she's making for me, I plan to wear it to the Estrella War that's coming up next weekend. SWEET!

No comments: